Vegetarian/Black Bean Soup
Start to finish about 2 1/2 hours.
A: 1 pound black beans.
B: 4C vegetable stock
C: 1 1/2C cooked rice
D: 1/4C olive oil
E: 2 medium white onions, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
3/4t cumin powder
1 1/2t oregano leaves
F: 2t salt
1. Pick rocks and other debris out of dry black beans. Add beans to water and
stir. Then remove any beans that float; they are likely to be questionable.
2. Simmer (A), covered, for 45 minutes.
3. Add (B) and simmer until beans are tender, usually about an hour.
4. Start (C) cooking in a rice cooker.
5. Remove 2 cups of bean mixture and run it through a blender or food processor
to puree it; then put it back into the pot.
6. Put (D) in skillet and saute (E) until the onions are soft.
7. Add cooked rice, sauted mixture, and (F) to the soup pot and simmer about 20
In small bowls for garnish, serve:
* chopped green onions, including tops
* lime wedges
* sour cream
* chopped jalapeno peppers and/or chopped Caribbean chiles
Based on recipe by Richard Mann (http://www.beanbible.com/article1007.html)
$Id: black_bean_soup,v 1.2 2005/01/03 19:09:20 deaven Exp $
Ingredient list only (can be imported to MyFitnessPal)